The following detox bath recipes are considered the most potent and powerful among Herbalism circles. While the ingredients used are generally considered safe for all adults, if you have a specific skin ailment or are taking topical medications, speak with your physician before moving forward.
1# | BACK TO THE BASICS – SALT WATER BATH DETOX RECIPE
For decades, one of the most common cures for aching joints, muscles and even hemorrhoids is a salt water bath. While this may be one of the simplest detox bath recipes, it’s potential for detoxing your body while promoting nutrient regulation is quite promising. In order to truly uncover the benefits of this detox bath, you must first delve into the ingredients.
Himalayan salt and pink peony flowers.
- ¼ Cup of Himalayan Salt
- ¼ Cup of Epsom Salt
- ¼ Cup of Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (Unprocessed)
- 10 Drops of Peppermint Oil
The aforementioned ingredients are easily found at your local health food store or purchased online. In many cases, buying the Himalayan Salt and Peppermint Oil online is the most cost-effective option. The following ingredients are believed to provide benefits, such as:
Himalayan Salt – This unique form of salt quickly dissolves in water, which leaves behind over 84 highly concentrated trace minerals. These electrically charged mineral matrix immediately soaks into your skin to provide nourishment on the cellular level. While the exact benefits of Himalayan Salt is currently being investigated by the scientific community, proposed benefits by Herbalism experts include:
- Balancing systemic pH levels for whole body detoxification
- Enhances hydration in all your organs
- Balances mineral concentrations throughout your body
- Supports natural hormone balance, which is essential for detoxification
- Regulates blood sugar
Epsom Salt – Unlike other forms of salt, Epsom salt is a pure combination of sulfate and magnesium, which promote detoxification at the cellular level. After it’s absorbed through your skin, the magnesium and sulfate are easily transported throughout your blood stream, which supports the creation and regulation of over 325 enzymes. As you soak in this detox bath, a process known as reverse osmosis literally pulls toxins out of your body through your skin and replaces these toxins with the various minerals and nutrients within the bath. By regularly bathing in Epsom salt, it’s believed to promote healthy muscle and nerve function while simultaneously reducing inflammation and supporting joint, skin and nervous tissue health.
Apple Cider Vinegar – Traditionally consumed to promote whole body detoxification, adding apple cider vinegar into your bath water supports the removal of toxins while naturally treating the skin and muscles. In a similar manner as Epsom salt, apple cider vinegar draws toxins and free radicals out of the body through the skin while simultaneously moisturizing and nourishing your skin.
Directions for the Salt Water Bath Detox
1. Pour the Epsom salt, Himalayan Salt and Baking Soda into 1 quart of boiling water. Allow the ingredients to fully dissolve.
2. Fill your bathtub with hot water and add the apple cider vinegar.
3. After the bath is completely filled, add the dissolved salt mixture along with the Peppermint essential oil drops.
4. Submerge your body and relax in the bath for at least 30 minutes.
5. Slowly remove yourself from the tub. Do not be surprised if you feel lightheaded or slightly dizzy upon exiting. Many people feel a head rush due to the toxin and nutrient exchanges that just took place.
6. Repeat once a week to sustain a toxin-free body.
2# | BUBBLE THE TOXINS AWAY – OXYGEN DETOX BATH RECIPE
When you think about hydrogen peroxide, the thought of detoxification probably does not enter your brain. However, this common wound healing liquid is among the most powerful detox agents due to its potent healing properties. When added to bath water, hydrogen peroxide instantly begins to work its way into your pores, which are dilated from the heat of the bath water. Due to its natural antibacterial and antiviral properties, the hydrogen peroxide actively works to draw out toxins through the skin while establishing a healthy environment in and on your body.
Fresh ginger and herbal ball.
- 3 Pints of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
- 2 Ounces of Freshly Ground Ginger
While this bath only contains two ingredients, the detoxification properties within each compound is incredibly potent. This oxygen detox bath works by eliminating toxins and cultivating an environment where it’s difficult for free radicals and toxins to flourish. As you soak in the warm water, your pores become dilated, which allows the hydrogen peroxide and ginger to easily soak into your skin for whole body distribution.
As stated above, hydrogen peroxide offers potent antibacterial and antiviral properties; however, the true detoxification benefit lies within the freshly ground ginger. As the ginger begins to soak into your skin, its natural anti-inflammatory properties significantly reduce skin and organ inflammation while promoting an increase of blood circulation. As a general rule, the better your circulation, the better oxygen-rich blood cells can treat all organs. Increasing blood circulation is imperative to support the natural cleansing of your bodily organs.
Directions for the Oxygen Detox Bath
1. Run a hot bath – make the water as hot as you can comfortably stand.
2. Add the hydrogen peroxide and ground ginger into the bath water.
3. Stir the water with your hands until the ingredients are well mixed within the tub.
4. Submerge your body in the bath. Soak for 30 minutes.
5. Remove yourself from the bath and immediately drink 1 to 2 eight ounce glasses of filtered water to replenish fluids lost during the detox process.
6. Repeat once a week for one month to experience complete detoxification.
3# | DRAW OUT THE TOXINS – BENTONITE CLAY DETOX BATH RECIPE
If you’ve performed any research into natural detoxification agents, then you’ve likely come across bentonite clay. Proponents of this compound claim it features powerful detoxification and healing properties capable of treating a host of illnesses and conditions. While the scientific community is currently investigating these claims, millions of Herbalism practitioners suggest the use of bentonite clay as a primary source of drawing out toxins from your body – especially heavy metals.
Epsom salt with pink heather flowers.
- ½ Cup of Bentonite Clay
- ½ Cup of Epsom Salt
- 10 Drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
As stated above, Epsom salt is among the most potent detoxification compounds as it naturally enhances magnesium and sulphate levels within your body, which actively works to promote healthy enzyme production and soothes muscle/joint aches. However, the true star of this detox bath is bentonite clay. Composed of volcanic ash, bentonite clay features a gray/cream color and features a velveteen texture, which is a pleasure to touch. Proponents of this clay suggest it creates an electrical charge when combined with water. This charge actually attracts toxins from deep within your body – specifically heavy metal toxins, which are incredibly dangerous to your health.
According to the herbal experts at Mountain Rose Herbs, bentonite clay produces a negative charge, which attracts and bonds to the positive charge found in many free radicals (toxins). This clay also supports oxygen delivery to cells as it removes excess hydrogen from cells and allows the body to replace the hydrogen with oxygen, which is imperative for total body health.
Directions for the Bentonite Clay Detox Bath
1. Pour the clay into a 1 cup of water and vigorously mix with a wooden spoon (do not use metal). Continue to stir until there are no clumps.
2. Draw a hot bath. When the tub is filled, add the dissolved clay into the water and soak for 20 minutes.
3. Take a small amount of clay and mix with just enough water to create a paste. While standing out of the bath, apply this paste all over your body. Repeat as necessary to cover your skin from head-to-toe.
4. Allow the clay to dry and harden for five minutes before submerging your body back into the bath for an additional 20 minute soak. While soaking, gently scrub the clay off your skin.
5. Repeat once a week for soft skin and a cleansed body.
DETOX BATH QUESTIONS & ANSWERS – DEMYSTIFYING THE DETOX PROCESS
Are these detox baths safe?
The majority of detox baths are generally considered safe by medical and Herbalism practitioners. The aforementioned baths were chosen due to their powerful, yet gentle, detoxification properties. If you are in overall good health, then you have nothing to worry about. Those with high blood pressure may want to discuss the potential adverse health reactions to hot baths. For some, hot water can increase their already high blood pressure, which may lead to unsavory results. Of course, if you have sensitive skin or skin ailments, such as eczema or psoriasis, you’ll need to discuss each ingredient with your physician.
Can I lose weight with a detox bath?
There are many publications stating detox baths are an “excellent” way to shed unwanted pounds. Unfortunately, there’s no research to support these claims. While you may notice an increase of sweat production, especially with the Oxygen Detox Bath, this is not an indication of cardiovascular-based weight loss. Rather, the increase of sweat production is a natural response to the bath heat and the compounds found in certain ingredients designed to draw out toxins through sweat.
Himalayan pink salt.
What are the benefits of a Detox Bath?
As with any natural remedies for detoxification, the benefits can dramatically vary from one person to another. This being noted, there are several universal benefits associated with a detoxification bath, which include:
- Reduced inflammation
- Improved mental function/enhanced cognition
- Chronic pain control
- Reduced fungal growth, such as athlete’s foot
- Higher functioning immune system
- Smooth and calmed joints
- Clearer skin
How many times per week should I take a detox bath?
In many natural healing and Herbalism circles, excess bathing is frowned upon. This holds far more weight when discussing detoxification baths. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing – this is especially true when it comes to detox baths. While there is debate regarding the frequency of detox baths, the general recommendation is no more than three detox baths per week. Ideally, you should only perform a detox bath once a week until whatever symptom you wish to alleviate is reduced or eliminated.
Is it safe to combine a detox bath with other forms of detoxification?
Absolutely! In order to truly eliminate toxins from your body, you must continuously attack these toxins from multiple angles. While a detox bath is an effective mode of toxin elimination, it should not be your only defense. Combine detox baths with drinks, smoothies and other lifestyle alterations to completely eradicate harmful compounds and toxins from your entire body.
Will a detox bath help clear my skin?
For many, detox baths (especially the Oxygen Detox Bath) can help reduce the compounds and toxins responsible for acne breakouts. While these remedies are not specifically designed or geared toward acne elimination, by preventing bacteria and free radicals from building up in your body, the likelihood of acne breakouts is reduced. Of course, if you’re searching for a way to naturally combat acne, then you should look at detoxification remedies designed specifically for acne.