Pagano Diet has nothing related to weight loss diets. The goal of this diet is an overall skin improvement and body cleansing. It was developed by American physician John Pagano to help patients with psoriasis, but then it eventually became popular among people with various skin problems.
General principles of Pagano diet
Diet is based on the idea that cause of psoriasis is high pH level. The author believes that by lowering the amount of”acid-forming” foods, it is possible to significantly reduce psoriasis inflammation. According to Dr. Pagano, diet should consist of 70-80% alkaline and only 20-30% acidic foods.
Doctors have developed the classification of the products, and also offered general recommendations regarding eating routine that will help with skin problems like eczema or psoriasis. Dr. Pagano is a supporter of the modern theory that many health problems are linked to the accumulation of toxins and chemicals in the body.
Even though traditional medicine does not operate with such concept as “alkaline or acidic environment”, many doctors support Dr. Pagano’s idea that correct diet can improve skin look and feel, confirming the effectiveness of this diet.
Alkaline foods are allowed
Fruits and berries. The exceptions are cranberries, blueberries, plums, and currants. Additionally, melons, apples and bananas are allowed to consume as a separate meal, don’t combine them with other products.
Vegetables, except for nightshade family vegetables and fruits (peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes, etc.). Also all legume seeds, rhubarb, large pumpkin and Brussels sprouts are banned.
In General, it is permitted to eat any food, that is not in this list.
Include in your healthy diet:
- Lecithin (granulated, 1 tbsp 3 times a day, 5 days a week), which, according to Pagano, helps to create a healthy environment in the body.
- Natural hot and cold lemonades (just lemon with water).
- Juices: pear, grape, mango, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, apricot, carrot, celery, spinach, beets, parsley, green onion.
- Before going to sleep, you should drink a glass of alkaline mineral water – for example, Borjomi. Also you can simply add 3-5 drops of glycothymoline into 1 cup of filtered water.
- It is essential to drink 6-8 glasses of water daily.
Avoid Acid-forming products
All food that contains animal protein, starch, sugar, fats and alcohol. Completely prohibited fatty meats, cheese, sugar, potatoes, fat dairy products. According to Dr. Pagano, this food creates an acid reaction in the blood and worsens the condition of patients with psoriasis
- Any vinegar and any product that contains it.
- Preservatives, artificial additives, artificial colors and flavor enhancers.
- Drugs (except required ones).
- Any foods that cause constipation.
- Stress. Avoid any stressful situations and practice relaxation exercises and massages.
The rules of the Pagano Diet
In addition to the list of banned and allowed products, Pagano has developed a number of recommendations that should be followed during the process of cooking and eating:
- Fruits and vegetables should be eaten fresh, frozen (raw sorbets for example), or steamed. From time to time, you can eat canned fruits. Fruits and vegetables that are processed with sugar or vinegar should be excluded.
- It is preferable to eat baked apples, apricots, figs, grapes (and other berries), citrus, kiwi, mangos, figs, etc. Such fruits as avocado, cranberries (including dried), plums, currants and prunes can be consumed but not every day.
- Beets, various types of cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, olives, parsnip, spinach, green beans (very young), zucchini, garlic, etc. beans are allowed. You can eat dried mushrooms from time to time. Almonds and hazelnuts are allowed to eat in a small amount.
- 20-30% of the diet can consist of allowed acid foods: grains – oats, buckwheat, millet, barley, rice, rye, bran, whole wheat, bread, sprouts, maize and maize flour; seeds – pumpkin and sunflower, sesame, flax; pasta whole wheat.
- At least four times a week, you should eat fish. It can be cooked in any way except frying. Preferred fish: tuna, cod, ponce, haddock, perch, sardines, sturgeon, trout, bluefish, mackerel, flounder, halibut, salmon, swordfish. Prohibited: herring, anchovies, salmon, any smoked and grilled fish.
- 2-3 times a week you have to eat lean poultry. Preferably white meat without skin;
- All dairy products should be low in fat. In addition to that, you are allowed low-fat soy, almond and powder milk. Butter is allowed in limited amounts. The yogurt has to be without sweeteners and artificial colors.
- Soft-boiled and hard-boiled eggs are allowed, but not more than two eggs 2 to 4 times a week.
- You need to eat more foods containing B vitamins, or you can take B vitamin complex.
- You can take 1 tsp of vegetable oil 3 times a day: olive, sunflower, cottonseed, almond, canola, corn, soybean. Sesame oil is allowed not more than once a week.
- You should drink camomile tea with mullein and watermelon seed.
- All products containing yeast, are strictly forbidden.
- Coffee is allowed only without caffeine and not more than 1-3 times per day.
- All fast food, including pizza and smoked meat, is forbidden.
How to combine different products correctly
- Whole grain foods with fruits and citrus juices, as well as stewed and dried fruits.
- Citrus fruits with dairy products (including cheese and yogurt).
- Fruits with products made from white flour (including pasta and cereals).
- Milk and cream – with tea and coffee.
From time to time you can drink 100 ml of wine during the meal.
Other rules of the diet
- Take natural laxatives. Spoon of olive oil taken between meals 3-4 times a day helps a lot.
- Walk every day.
- Go to sleep and wake up at the same time.
You should start this diet with 3-4 days monodiet on fruits. This will help you to cleanse the bowel and start treatment more effectively.